Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Deuterocanoncials (extra credit)

Please read through a portion (one or two chapters is enough) of any of the Deuterocanonical books (the books included in Catholic and Greek Orthodox Bibles, but not ususally included in Protestant Bibles). I recommend especially Ecclesiasticus (Sirach), but the other books are worth looking at as well.

Note what you find particularly interesting in the selection you read. Would you ever read through the Deuterocanonicals on your own? Why, or why not?

If you have fallen behind on the blogs, you meet do additional entries on other Deuterocanonical books. [Please note: the link I give here has a pretty idiosyncratic list of the Apocrypha. "Bel and the Dragon" and "Susannah" are usually just called "additions to Daniel" and that's where you will find them in most Catholic Bibles.]

3 comments:

  1. I read the first two chapters of Sirach, or Ecclesiasticus. I actually found it very interesting to read because the style was very different than the books that were in the bible. I found it particularly interesting how the sentences were so short and compound. So, yes I do think that I would read through the deuterocanonical books because of how interesting the writing style is for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the first few chapters of Ecclesiasticus. I agree with what Morgan said about the style it was written in being interesting. I also noticed that at least in the first few chapters it kept coming back to the idea that you need to fear the Lord. I can see why this book might be seen as being useful. It says a lot about how people should live their lives. I don't thin I would ever read through these books on my own but that's just because I'm not a particularly religious person.

    Mallory Schlechter

    ReplyDelete
  3. For this I chose to read chapter 1 of Bel and the Dragon. I have no idea what this book is about, but I saw Dragon so my interest was peaked. Most of this chapter revolves around Daniel and his experience with king Astyages. The king is worshiping an idol of the god Bel while Daniel is worshiping his own God. The king asks Daniel why he isn't worshiping Bel and Daniel says that he can't worship idols made with hands, but the living God, who hath created the heaven and the earth, and hath sovereignty over all flesh. This all seems pretty straight forward and I can see why it is a part of the Catholic bible. Having read only the first chapter I would consider it maybe the book of Daniel part 2.

    ReplyDelete